Saturday, June 18, 2016

Beating the Foster Care Statistics



I entered into foster care a very scared 16 year old. I bounced around my whole life, until this point, with my single mother, her never-ending boyfriends and my half sister. As a child we moved so much I never had a sense of home.

Foster Care was my only option over a longer juvenile jail sentence. A judgment put upon me after I was arrested, while defending myself from my mother's cocaine fueled rage.


I didn't understand at the time what was happening to me, or why my family couldn’t just go back to being "normal"? Why were my choices being made for me by a caseworker? I was honest about the abuse, wasn't anyone listening? Nothing was the same for me after that. That would be the last time I lived with my mother.


I remember meeting my foster parents and how they looked at me with wide eyes. I was an angry teen and I refused to allow myself to like them, or even get to know them. I felt so betrayed and abandoned by my own mother, I trusted no one.  I just wanted out of this new foster home.  I decided after that  first night I was there, that I would run. I plotted my escape and I ran from foster care into the world. I bounced around from place to place, just like I was taught.


My caseworker was never heard from again. I aged out and grew up quickly.  I will tell you that most of the statistics about foster children who age-out are indeed True.


I dropped out of school at 16, pregnant by 18, and allowed drugs and alcohol to fuel my world for a short time. I always knew deep down, that was NOT who I was. I didn't have to stay a statistic. I was more than my past and my abuse.


GOD is bigger than this hurt; and HE saved me. HE allowed amazing people to come into my life and help fill in the gaps where I was forced to stop growing at 16. I was blessed to go  back to school and I graduated with GED Honors. Sheriff Joe Arpaio presented me with my diploma!


I went on to college, and have completed numerous courses. I am proudest to write I have completed and continue to work the Celebrate Recovery Program.


I married an amazing man, and thankfully 19 years later; we are still in love. We have 2 biological sons, and I quickly realized how much I loved being a Mom!! My husband and I have been foster parents for 9 years now. I can't truly express what takes place when we get that call and a new child is placed in our home, Excitement! Fear! Somehow I know and understand their need to feel loved, and to feel accepted.


I am thankful God has allowed the vision of Jacob’s Mission Community Center to come to life. A place where foster children will be accepted and loved. I am excited to be a part of something that will continue to bless generations to come!

Erin

To learn more about our center, visit us at www.asanow.org

3 comments:

  1. You chose amazing endurance and persistence to move you toward healing and a successful adult life. Thank you for sharing your story and using your life to positively impact many others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I cannot imagine the fear and uncertainty a teen goes through, aging put of the foster system. I look forward to the future, and Jacob's mission, to help many in making their future more bright.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I always knew deep down, that was NOT who I was. I didn't have to stay a statistic. I was more than my past and my abuse."

    Absolutely loved this line. Thank you for being so incredibly brave in sharing your story

    ReplyDelete